Thursday, June 27, 2013

WHAT I DID ON MY DAY OFF: I went to Governor Kasich's office after the rally to tell him what I think of him.

As you all know, Governor John Kasich is so terrified of women in pink carrying 17,000 petitions from Ohio citizens that he was a no-show at his ceremonial office in the Ohio statehouse earlier today.  When called at his working office in the Riffe Center across High Street, his office said that a representative would arrive in ten minutes to receive the petitions.  The governor's representative also was a no-show.  So, those carrying phones began calling his office again. After the callers waited on hold for several minutes, the message came
back from our illustrious governor that his office was too understaffed to send even a clerk across the street.   Would we care to troop across the street and deliver the petitions at his working office instead?  Well, the decision was to stack those 17,000 petitions at the locked door of the ceremonial office in the
statehouse and get on with our business.
After that, I walked to Grant Hospital to make a payment on a bill.  On the way, I stopped at the offices of Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio to say hello.  Then, at the hospital after paying my bill, I bought a cup of fancy coffee in the lobby.  There I buttonholed two young ladies to tell them what had happened.  By the time I was done, I had two more voters committed to showing up on Election Day next year.
Of course, as a worker bee COTA rider, I still had a few errands to run on my day pass.  Walking back toward High Street on the way to the bank, I decided to stop at the Riffe Center reception desk.  They
directed me to the 30th floor after checking my bag.  When I got to the 30th floor, I met an Ohio state trooper and asked whether the Governor's minions took walk-ins or where to go to set up an appointment.  He graciously explained the procedure to me, and I proceeded to fill out the form:  Date, Name, Address, Phone Number, Brief Description Why You Want To See The Governor.  Knowing that they would never agree to see me, I left this message -- more or less -- for Ohio's Fearless Fuehrer:
I just stopped by to tell you that I wrote a $50 check for an UNRESTRICTED donation to Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio in response to your abject cowardice earlier today.  In addition, I buttonholed two young ladies at the fancy-schmancy coffee shop and convinced them to vote against you in the next election.  I heard it through the grapevine that your office is too understaffed to send even a clerk to pick up the petitions of 17,000 Ohio citizens.  Maybe you should contact your cronies at JobsOhio, and they can connect you with some qualified help.  The moral of this story is, disrespect one old coot and you will end up with three Democrats. (By the way, I helped Mark Kirk* during his first run for the [US] House [of
Representatives] years ago.)

*2008 Barry Goldwater, Sr., Award
---------------

The Ohio state troopers and the lobby reception desk personnel were most gracious and professional.  I look forward to electing a governor worthy of their loyal service.

You know, the one good thing about getting gray and arthritic is that you finally can get away with telling people what you really think.

No comments:

Post a Comment